Search News & Video Archives
|Last Updated: Monday, November 05, 2012|
Firefighters Rescue Two from Bronx, New York Fire
Firefighters from Ladder 47 rescued two men from an apartment fire in the Bronx, New York on July 9, 2011.
"The team did a great job," said Lt. Tim Sullivan. "They worked under arduous conditions and saved two lives. They should be very proud of themselves."
A fire was reported on Lafayette Avenue at 7:05 a.m. As firefighters pulled up, they said they saw a column of smoke and frantic civilians, who were screaming that there were people trapped.
Firefighters hurried to the second floor and forced open the door.
The fire was in the living room, to the left of the front door, near the entertainment system.
The firefighters moved past the fire and began their search. Firefighter Ryan Weber found the first victim – a 29-year-old man – behind the couch. A 20-year-old man then was found by Firefighter Douglas Ferretti, face down on the floor of a rear bedroom. The members removed both victims from the apartment and handed them over to EMS members.
Both victims were not breathing and paramedics transported them to Jacobi Hospital in critical condition. Hours later they were reported to be improving.
The fire was placed under control at 7:47 a.m. Fire marshals determined the fire was accidental, electrical. They said smoke alarms were present, but had no batteries.
"The scene was chaotic – with the civilians out front screaming and pointing from the beginning," Lt. Sullivan said. "But the team did a great job. It was a great feeling."
Republished with permission of the New York City Fire Department. View original article here.
Author:Emily Rahimi - PIO - FDNY
(no feedback yet)
AZTF-1 Begins First Phase of Storm Deployment to East Coast for Hurricane Sandy Chimney Fire Causes $80k in Damages Live Lobster Group Produces Film About Arson in 1970's Boston Arson determined to be cause of Memphis house fire Aron Anderson joins NFPA’s Fire Adapted Communities initiative San Bernardino County Residents Participate in the World’s Largest Earthquake Drill San Diego Fire-Rescue Launches an Online View of Fire Dispatch OAK GROVE HOUSE FIRE NFPA Hosts Urban Fire Forum Clark County Fire Department Responds To Strip Mall Fire Cooking equipment remains top cause of home structure fires according to NFPA report FEMA Approved Pilot Course on Hazmat Response Open to First Responders
Fire & EMS Events
Links Email this page to a friend Bookmark this page Sign up for our free newsletter!
©2013 FDNNTV. All rights reserved.